Portugal Ceramics, www.portugal-ceramics.com is a brand developed by the Portuguese Association of the Ceramic and Glass Industry (APICER) apicer.pt to promote the sector. Created as part of the INTERCER project – Promoting the Internationalisation of Portuguese Ceramics.
Objectives of portugal ceramics
- To promote the value of Portuguese ceramics on the European market and in the United States, by giving visibility to national ceramics and improving their perception.
- Highlight the uniqueness of Portuguese ceramics
- Represent the best brands of Portuguese ceramics and their innovative and authentic character
- The Art of the Possible concept: showcasing the ability of Portuguese ceramics professionals to find solutions and make things happen.
- Recently honoured at the German Design Awards with an honourable mention in the “Excellent Communication” category” www.german-design-award.com
Portugal has a long tradition in the production of utilitarian and decorative ceramics, in porcelain, stoneware or pottery, and is home to some of the oldest and most renowned brands in the sector, true bastions of uniqueness, authentic design, expertise and mastery.
Today, Portugal is the leading European country in the production and design of ceramic tableware and accessories. Portuguese ceramics have a rich history of craftsmanship and innovation, resulting in a mix of heritage and contemporary elegance, whether inspired by nature, culture or imaginary worlds. Their brands are different and this is a unique opportunity for you to discover the most influential brands and understand why their value proposition is so different.
Mastery and high standards
- Mastery of the craft is a unique and irreplaceable resource, a timeless treasure.
- Knowledge of the company
- Highest standard of quality
- Knowledge passed on as a legacy; turning ideas into solutions that add value for stakeholders.
- Modern, efficient technology.
The best way to create value:
- Collaboration between companies and their customers
- Collaboration between companies to share best practices and joint commercial action in international markets
- Collaboration with the community: academic and scientific institutions, the arts, community action platforms.
Inspire the sector to re-imagine itself and balance imbalances. Aware of the sector’s impact, willing to promote more sustainable practices and share knowledge between companies to contribute to a better and sustainable future. Some examples:
- Maximum waste recovery and reuse of clay
- Reused enamel residues, 100% recycling of old plaster moulds
- Natural resources: treatment and reuse of rainwater for production, gardens and sanitary purposes
- Energy: use of photovoltaic panels
Some very active and influential companies in Portugal
“Our stoneware products are innovative and sustainable, made from the best natural raw materials in Portugal.”
COSTA NOVA reflects the essence of its charming fishing village, known as a holiday destination and for its typical wooden houses with colourful stripes, and embraces the Mediterranean lifestyle par excellence. Local gastronomy inspires the company to create beautiful pottery collections that combine finesse and sturdiness in line with European production standards.
COSTA NOVA is present in more than 50 countries, mainly in the most prestigious interior design shops. The quality and durability of their ceramics has also won over the world’s most renowned hotels and restaurants.
“Design and Innovation are a part of our lives”
Portugal between the regions of Nazaré and Alcobaça, a traditional region for decorative and artistic ceramics whose origins date back to the time of the Cister monks. The company has been a manufacturer for 31 years and has always made efforts to improve and update not only its facilities but also its production techniques. “Today, we believe and rely on design and innovation as fundamental elements of an interior design concept.”
“20 years of history”
Founded in 2000 in Vale de Ourém, Batalha (Portugal), the company produces earthenware and stoneware. Equipped with the latest cutting-edge technology, robotics, digital controls and 3D printing, it is a world pioneer in digital printing technology applied to tableware. MATCERAMICA attaches great importance to its solar power plant, which meets almost all the plant’s needs while reducing its carbon footprint by using a renewable energy source.
Creation of Nosse Ceramic Studio – https://www.nosseceramics.com/ – Members of The Green Organisation; commitment to plant new trees every month
“Creations with profound artistic value, blending tradition and modernity with cultural trends”.
Since 1824, VISTA ALEGRE, with its broad artistic heritage, has been turning Portuguese porcelain and glass into designer creations for the table. Each piece is hand-painted by skilled artisans trained by previous generations.
Collaborations with renowned designers and artists such as Joana Vasconcelos, Marcel Wanders, French brand Christian Lacroix and Oscar de la Renta.
The VISTA ALEGRE museum, next to the white factory with the yellow frames, aims to show the history of the factory, the aesthetic evolution of porcelain production and its importance to Portuguese society in the 19th and 20th centuries through one of the most extensive museum collections of its kind.
Portugal Ceramics in the social media